Tuesday 8 February 2011

In the year 2012, 2012... the eve of destruction

Never have I been frightened by a government before. I grew up in the days of Eden and Macmillan and I was too young for proper political perceptions but they seemed merely patrician. I was able to vote in 1964 and felt empowered when Wilson got in. It seemed like a brave new world.
That it was not was only partly his fault or that of the Labour Government. When the Tories came back with Heath it was again pretty patrician although the country was in a mess. Douglas Home was a joke. Maggie appalled me but was sane for the first seven years. I had met Keith Joseph man y years before and was not surprised when things got a bit hairy later.
But I still had no fear and the grey days of Major proved me right to be sanguine. I had seen Blair in action as committee opponent of privatisation and thought he would be brilliant. He was but not exactly as I had hoped. But he still didn't scare me. Gordon Brown did but only when I met him; as a politician I expected him to be dour, deliberate and boring. Pretty much, he was.
But Cameron scares me rigid, and Clegg does nothing to ameliorate the worry. I think Cameron is already barking. It took Maggie years to believe her own legend; brave Davey is busking his own heroics already. He seems blind to the reality that he has no mandate, that he is embarking on policies even his own MPs have never seen and than the revolution he is attempting requires money as well as support it does not have.
He stands to wreck the health service - for ordinary people, not the rich who do not care. He is intent on allowing Gove to destroy what is left of the education service. Again the rich are not involved. He has so weakened the military that there is a real danger that the daft Trident will be all the sabres we have to rattle - Lord help us then. He is orchestrating the destruction of local government and in the process casting adrift the poor, the needy and dispossessed (there is no Ellis island for them Dave, honest!). He is willing to risk the destruction of libraries, parks, forests and a whole host of associated cultural and lifestyle benefits.
Meanwhile he is also failing to provide anything like a decent environment for business to flourish.
This weekend he decided to alienate our immigrant brothers. Nice one Dave.
If the nation slides into true depression with unrest on the streets he will even have emasculated the police and army in advance.
What frightens me is that this wholesale, blind revolution in the nation's culture under these conditions is the kind of bonfire of vitalities that can lead to the conditions for having an emergency government of national unity. I'm not saying Dave is a wannabe dictator of course. Just that I really do wonder if we shall have another election after all. Ever...

No comments:

Post a Comment