Saturday 18 December 2010

Time to start again...

Today I had a salutary experience. I heard a blogger I agreed with. Of course she is proper journalist which possibly explains it. Now I'll be the first to admit to significant left leanings (I think Blair was marginally left of Maggie Thatcher but not by much). But I like to think they are rational rather than prejudicial.

So when I heard Any Qs today on Radio 4 and it had not one but TWO bloggers on I was hooked. After all, this would prove my theory that bloggers are, like me in letter writing mode, self congratulatory and slightly smug.

To be fair Guido Fawkes managed to hit the spot most of the time. He is getting better but slight and prejudiced would still figure as main adjectives. And then came Penny Red - or Laurie Penny. Morning Star (well, lots have to go through it; a sort of rite of passage) but now freelance political and social commentator (News Statesmen etc - do read, please) and a few other places. Her own blog was excellent but her time is taken up too much it seems - the danger of bloggers who are still in work, unlike me!

Ms Penny is not smug, not self obsessed and she is highly readable. Her views chime for the most part with mine which of course helps I admit. But on the first few hundred or even thousand words I have read so far, this is one writer I can follow. Indeed having bumped into this internet stuff very early (I worked in the field from 1993 to 2003) I had seen each 'new' wunderkind arrive like the first rays of the sun, all in a blaze (Janis Ian) and mature until all you see is former glory. So I dabbled in YouTube, Facebook even Twitter and launched blog only to let it die on the vine. But I have awarded Ms Red my first 'follower' link.
All I have to do now is write something she likes enough to follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment